[DRBD-user] DRBD in Primary/Primary config with clustered FS.

Guy wyldfury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:17:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm currently using DRBD with the normal primary/secondary set up
providing space for mail stores. The mail servers access these via
NFS. It looks like I'm starting to hit the limits of the system in its
current format.

The new idea I've come up with is to have two mail servers with large
local drives in RAID5 providing the stores and using DRBD with dual
primaries to keep the data synced between the two servers.
Postfix/Dovecot is a lot faster with local drives, but I'm not sure
whether the overhead of DRBD + clustered FS would negate the increased
I/O I can get with local drives.

Between the two current NFS servers (there's a primary DRBD partition
on each server with the secondary partition being on the other server)
I've got 260 million files or more (varying sizes, but most are
relatively small) and have a peak concurrency of about 350 users
hitting Dovecot on each mail server at the moment.

Has anyone used DRBD with a clustered file system under similar
conditions? What FS did you use? Any other advise would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Guy

--