[DRBD-user] Cannot re-sync both nodes following planned outage

Gary.Webb at opengi.co.uk Gary.Webb at opengi.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 17:39:38 CEST 2009

Hi. Sorry for the newbie question!

The main site for DRBD states "In case a complete power outage takes
both nodes down, DRBD will detect which of the nodes was down longer,
and will do the resynchronization in the right direction." However, in
my case, this is not happening. I have tried a drbdadm --
--overwrite-data-of-peer but still nothing. Not sure what the best info
is to post, but here is what /proc/drbd currently thinks:

cluster1:~ # cat /proc/drbd

version: 8.2.7 (api:88/proto:86-88)

GIT-hash: a1b440e8b3011a1318d8bff1bb7edc763ef995b0 build by lmb at hermes,
2009-02-20 13:35:59

 0: cs:StandAlone st:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r---

    ns:0 nr:0 dw:1304 dr:15549 al:28 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b
oos:412

cluster2:~ # cat /proc/drbd

version: 8.2.7 (api:88/proto:86-88)

GIT-hash: a1b440e8b3011a1318d8bff1bb7edc763ef995b0 build by lmb at hermes,
2009-02-20 13:35:59

 0: cs:WFConnection st:Secondary/Unknown ds:Outdated/DUnknown C r---

    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:840

I have forced the secondary (cluster2) to be a secondary with drbdadm
secondary cluster_disk and tried drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer
primary cluster_disk on the cluster1 system.

What is the easiest way of getting this back? I currently have this all
setup in a lab environment with openais controlling a bespoke app,
tomcat, samba, virtual IP, filesystem, etc. Everything works a treat
apart from this total outage scenario. I absolutely must have an easy
trouble-free method of overcoming this scenario if I am to be able to
use this in a production environment.

Thanks.  Gary.