[DRBD-user] Kernel Panic

Igor Neves igor at 3gnt.net
Thu Jan 29 13:15:03 CET 2009

Hi

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2009-01-29T11:57:53, Igor Neves <igor at 3gnt.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes I have seen and I know that the module that don't loads correctly
>> it's from vmware.
>>

> Well, so, on the node which is not currently primary, you're not running
> the VMs, right? So, how about trying to see if it does not crash if
> vmware is never loaded at all?

Yes, i was not running the virtual machine, but vmware was running.
Anyway, I have this vmware running in other places without problems, so
as half of the world! :)

Yes i will do that too, and i will be investigating and working on
changing the virtualization plataform. I know there are much better
alternatives, but i don't have much time to try them out. Now i will be
forced to have. heheh.

>> The problem with the module it's that it complains about it's license.
>> Vmware configure script try to load the module when configuring it and
>> and it says it loads OK, but kernel complains about license.
>>

> Of course. vmware is a GPL violation, so the kernel rightfully complains

Yes.

>> I'm just remembering now, that centos crew they recently change
>> kmod-drbd package politics, before they had one rpm for each kernel they
>> sent out. Now the same rpm it's for all the kernels. Can that be the
>> problem?
>>

> Not sure. You'd see from the logs at boot time - when the modules are
> initially loaded - which module load causes the taint flags to be set.

Yes, no doubts, it's vmware.

vsock: no version for "VMCIDatagram_Send" found: kernel tainted.

> Regards,
>     Lars

Cheers,
Igor Neves