[DRBD-user] drbd device not ready on reboot

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Tue Jan 27 07:06:11 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Lars Ellenberg
<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:46:10PM +0100, Michael Grant wrote:
>> I'm in the process of building my cluster.  I have one node up named
>> a.example.org.  However, when I boot this machine (a), the boot
>> process blocks with this message:
>>
>>  DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
>>  - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
>>    reboot the timeout is 120 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
>>  - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
>>    expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
>>    (These values are for resource 'vm1-root'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
>>  To abort waiting enter 'yes' [  340]:
>>
>> In my case, the peer (I assume b is the peer) has never been
>> available.  Therefore, this node should have been a degraded cluster
>> before the reboot, hence, the timeout should be 120 seconds, but the
>> counter keeps on ticking and ticking, so it seems there's a problem
>> here.
>>
>> Did I do something wrong?  How do I convince a that it is a degraded
>> cluster and to come up with my drbd devices ready?
>
> misconception about when degr-wfc-timeout is used.
> please read
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.drbd/15849/focus=15854

Thank you. Ok, I see the logic of this behavior now.  Until I have my
two nodes fully online for the first time I need to temporarily set
degr-wfc-timeout to 0.

Now, for the moment, when I type 'yes' to abort waiting and the
machine fully comes up, when I try to mount one of these
never-yet-degraded resources, I get this error:

    mount: block device /dev/drbd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: Wrong medium type

I find that I cannot mount this resource until I again do:

    drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary vm2-root

Why do I need to do this each time I boot?  Is there some way to avoid
this until I get my other half of the resource up?

Michael Grant