[DRBD-user] protocol D: non blocking, async protocol?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jan 16 15:52:59 CET 2009

Of course there is no such thing as protocol D in DRBD.

Currently, local writes are only as fast as data reaches the remote side
(plus some TCP buffer tuning with protocol A, which won't make a big
difference in a long term).

This can be a bit of pain if you:
- have a slow link,
- want to use DRBD for disaster recovery mainly, not for (fast) failover,
- have lots of gigabytes to sync,
- want the writes to happen fast.

I was wondering if a non blocking, async protocol was ever considered in
DRBD?
So that local writes would be almost as fast as a local media allows;
anything which was not transferred to the remote side would be marked as
"dirty" and transferred when the time/bandwidth/conditions permit.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org