[DRBD-user] DRBD locks up after PingAck did not arrive in time

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Jan 15 09:29:20 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:50:52AM -0800, John Du wrote:
> We are running five pairs of DRBD servers.  Three pairs are on 32bit
> RHEL 4 and 2 pairs on 64bit RHEL5.  Saturday (January 3, 2008) night,
> there was some network problems and the two 64bit DRBD pairs locked up
> the primary severs and we had to power them off and on.  The 32 bit
> servers are all survived fine.  Is this a known problem in the 64bit
> versions of DRBD we are running?  Will upgrading to the latest version
> fix the problem?  Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> The Linux kernel version is 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 #1 SMP Thu Oct 4 04:06:39
> EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux and the DRBD version is 8.2.0-3.

you are not serious?
you don't use 8.2.0, do you?

should that be a typo, and you actually use 8.3.0 ?
if not, please upgrade.

> The logs from one of the locked up servers is:

> 22:47:57 drbd1: Handshake successful: Agreed network protocol version 87

ah. no.
you _do_ use 8.2.0. where did you get that from?
why?

in that case:
it is likely a race condition bug, and that it triggered with one of
your clusters and not the other is unlikely to be architechture related.

and yes, upgrading will probably fix it.

also, please note,
just in case you run into any such problems again,

> 22:48:34 ----------- [cut here ] ---------

why, oh why, did you not include this part?
that is the most interessting one...

--
: Lars Ellenberg