[DRBD-user] Three node setup questions

David.Livingstone at cn.ca David.Livingstone at cn.ca
Tue Feb 17 23:52:16 CET 2009

Hello,

I currently have two two-node clusters running heartbeat and drbd(see
background below). I also have a two-node test which I decided to update
to the latest releases of all. In so doing I downloaded and installed
drbd 8.3.0(drbd-8.3.0.tar.gz) which includes three-node setups using
stacked clusters. Specifically havng a third backup/brp node
geograghically removed from our production cluster is very appealing.

I have looked at the online manual(http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/)
and read the current information for three-node setups and have some
observations/questions :
- An illustraion/figure of a three-node setup would help.
- From your "Creating a three-node setup" example on which machine does
the stacked-on-top-of address run(ie 192.168.42.1) ? In my case my third
node is not on the same ip segment as my two other nodes.
- After doing some searching I hit on the http://drbd-plus.linbit.com
page which mentions configuraion keywords "ignore-on" and "use-csums".
Neither of these exist in the drbd.conf man page. Are they needed ?
- The manual talks about the drbdupper resource used in R1 style
clusters. What about CRM style clusters ?
- In the R1 style configuraion you state :
"The third node, which is set aside from the Heartbeat cluster, will
have the â??other halfâ? of the stacked resource available permanently."
I presume by this you mean that if the two-node cluster disappears that
the mounting/application startup on the backup node is done manually ?
Other Questions :
- Is the manual available for download/printing ?
- Has anyone used the nx_lsa(Linx Sockets Acceration) driver to run drbd ?

Background :
1. Current two-node production clusters :
- HW : - Proliant DL380G5
- Crossover for drbd : HP NC510C(NetXen) 10GB using nx_nic
- SW : - RHEL5 and kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5
- drbd : drbd-8.2.6-3, drbd-km-2.6.18_92.1.10.el5PAE-8.2.6-3,
- heartbeat/pacemaker :
heartbeat-2.99.0-3.1
heartbeat-common-2.99.0-3.1
heartbeat-resources-2.99.0-3.1
pacemaker-heartbeat-0.6.6-17.2
pacemaker-pygui-1.4-5.1

1. Test two-node cluster :
- HW : - Proliant DL380G4
- SW : - Latest RHEL5 and kernel-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5
- drbd : drbd-8.3.0-3, drbd-km-2.6.18_128.1.1.el5-8.3.0-3
- heartbeat/pacemaker :
heartbeat-2.99.2-6.1.i386.rpm
heartbeat-common-2.99.2-6.1.i386.rpm
heartbeat-resources-2.99.2-6.1.i386.rpm