[DRBD-user] Primary node fails to establish a connection with Secondary when drbd is started

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 16 20:44:17 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:00:03PM +0100, Shaun Mccullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a simple two node DRBD cluster to implement a HA-NFS solution
>
> We are running DRBD on CentOS 5.2 using the CentOS RPMS kmod-drbd82-8.2.6-2 and drbd82-8.2.6-1.el5.centos on both nodes.
>
> The Primary node is running kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 and the Secondary is running Kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.
>
> When I initially set the system up both nodes were running kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.
>
> A few weeks ago I shutdown the primary, the secondary took over as expected and everything was hunky dory.
>
> For various reasons I had to rebuild the primary, which is why it is running a different kernel.
>
> /etc/drbd.conf looks like this on both nodes:
>
> common { syncer { rate 100M; } }
>        resource r0 {
>             protocol C;
>             net {
>                  cram-hmac-alg sha1;
>                  shared-secret "marviQ";
>             }
>             on data01.tmf.qinip.net {
>                  device    /dev/drbd1;
>                  disk      /dev/data01_ext3/main_sites;
>                  address   172.16.1.102:7789;
>                  meta-disk internal;
>             }
>             on data00.tmf.qinip.net {
>                  device    /dev/drbd1;
>                  disk      /dev/data00_ext3/main_sites_backup;
>                  address   172.16.1.101:7789;
>                  meta-disk internal;
>             }
>        }

hm. try to explain that to the new support engineer,
after you have activated (made Primary) data00 for some reason,
that the LV backing the Primary is called ...-backup,
while the LV backing the Secondary is called main-site...

do not confuse Primary and Secondary (which are _roles_ which _any_ node
can assume) with nodes, or node names.

> Tcpdump shows that Primary is not able to establish a connection with the Secondary.
>
> Every time the Primary sends a SYN to the Secondary, the Secondary responds with RST, ACK

maybe the not responding node is not listening?
	-> drbdadm adjust all
	netstat -tnlp # should show something listening on the drbd port
	check kernel logs (wherever your syslog puts them)
	double check ips
	check via ping
	check connectivity on some other port using e.g. netcat.

do you have a firewall blocking/rejecting that traffic?

--
: Lars Ellenberg