[DRBD-user] Use on client computers

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 16 20:21:10 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:25:05PM -0500, Matthew Monaco wrote:
> Does DRDB have any place on a collection of client computers, so users
> may log in and have access to their data anywhere on the network? (It
> should be cached locally too so clients can operate individually in case
> of disaster)

should work with drbd "just fine",
if you manage the administrative overhead.

only "client computers" would ever go "drbd Primary",
and the "central secondaries" should live on (several)
powerful storage (clusters).

in the architechture I envision right now, data would be accessible only
on one client computer at a time, so you probably need to (educate and)
enforce users to have at most one login at any time.
which you should do anyways, if you allow offline operation,
regardless of technology used.

you also need to think about authorization and authentication,
as well as encryption, probably, as by default,
DRBD is a "clear text" (well, binary) protocol.

how many clients computers are we taking about?
how much storage,
  total?
  per device?

if you are interessted, we (Linbit) can give you a call
and discuss how we can support you in rolling this out.
just drop me a note.

> If not, is there any solution that is recommended?
> AFS is all I know of, does this work well with DRDB?

I know that people use AFS on top of DRBD,
but that is for having the AFS server highly available.

so make your AFS server a DRBD HA cluster,
and have your clients be "standard" AFS clients.
it appears to work just fine.
I have no personal experience with AFS, though.

--
: Lars Ellenberg