[DRBD-user] How do multiple drbd devices affect performance?

George Negoita negoita.george at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:25:00 CET 2009

I'm building a cheap iscsi storage. I have two nodes with 1,4GB storage each
and I'm thinking of two ways of doing this:

1. 3ware raid controller -> one big drbd device -> lvm -> export volumes via
iscsi

2. 3ware raid controller -> lvm -> multiple drbd devices -> export via iscsi

What's the safest/fastest method?

Will multiple drbd devices affect performance? There should be no more than
8-10 drbd devices in this setup (if I stick to the second method). I'm
tempted to go with the second one because it seems safer (for example, if I
have problems with one drbd volume, I can still use the others). What's your
opinion?

Thank you!
--
George Negoita