[DRBD-user] How to resize DRBD on top of LVM (online)

ml at bortal.de ml at bortal.de
Mon Feb 2 21:09:20 CET 2009

Hello List,

i would like to resize my drbd resource online. My 2nd node is offline
and the one i use here is connected, sync and primary.

Some of my drbd.conf:
--------------------------
        on host1 {
                address 10.0.0.1:7789;
                device /dev/drbd1;
                disk /dev/vg/pgone-disk;
                meta-disk /dev/vg/meta[0];
        }

My current partition size of /dev/drbd1 is 29G (it was 20GB at the very
beginning- Then i played around with it. :) )

1.) Create a empty drbd1 resource for proove of concept:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd1
mount /dev/drbd1 /mnt
dmesg > /mnt/test

2.) Resize lvm
 lvresize -L +2G /dev/vg/pgone-disk
  Extending logical volume pgone-disk to 31.00 GB
  Logical volume pgone-disk successfully resized

3.) Now i try to resize my drbd resource:
drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 resize --size=30G

But in my logs i get:
---
kernel: drbd1: Requested disk size is too big (31457280 > 20971520)

What am i doing wrong? How can i resize my drbd partition on top of lvm
online? Whats causing that 20GB limit from the logs?

Cheers,
Mario