[DRBD-user] Interoperability of 8.0.16 and 8.3.6

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Dec 22 13:12:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 04:05:28PM +0100, Iustin Pop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DRBD 8.0 says proto:86 and 8.3.6 says proto:86-91, so I would expect
> these two to work nicely together. And this seems to be the case, except
> when bringing them up in primary/primary mode.
>
> The problems seems to be that after both devices are in primary/primary
> and connected state, the 8.0.16 node wants to go back to WFBitMapS and
> remains there, but the 8.3.6 node refuses it due to: "block drbd0:
> unexpected cstate (Connected) in receive_bitmap". So 8.0.16 remains
> stuck in WFBitmapS while 8.3.6 thinks it's in Connected.
>
> Is this something that should work and is maybe a bug (drbd or our
> configuration), or is it not something realistic to expect?

It is supposed to work, but it is NOT supposed to be run in that
configuration for longer than absolutely necessary.
The interoperability is primarily to support rolling upgrades.
Not to run for extended periods of time.

If you have logs for such an incident,
show them, maybe it is even something else,
and has not much to do with the differnt versions.

--
: Lars Ellenberg