[DRBD-user] Steps to resize resources on top of LVM, quick peer review is needed.

Ivan Teliatnikov ivan.teliatnikov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:33:51 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I need to resize an online drbd resource. Drbd is on top of LVM.

resource drbd0 {

  on node1.aka.edu.au {
    device              /dev/drbd0;
    disk                /dev/lvmc1/export1;
    address             192.168.1.1:7789;
    meta-disk           /dev/sdd1[0];
  }

  on node2.aka.edu.au {
    device              /dev/drbd0;
    disk                /dev/lvmc1/export1;
    address             192.168.1.2:7789;
    meta-disk           /dev/sdd1[0];
  }

Could someone who done this before confirm my steps below:

1. Add more space to Logical Group lvmc1 on node1 and node2

2. Extend logical volume /dev/lvmc1/export1 on node1 and node2 ( growing
from 1 TB to 1.5 TB )

3. Grow ext3 file systems using either

    ext2online /dev/lvmc1/export1 or

    reseizefs /dev/lvmc1/export1

4. drbdadm resize /|resource|/ ( in my case drbd0 ) on the primary node.

5. repeat for 1 - 4 for other resources.

Questions:

a. It is irrelevant on which node ( primary or secondary ) steps 1 & 2
are carried out first. Can you confirm this, pls?

b. Can you confirm that steps 3 and 4 are in correct order?

c. Can you confirm that both steps 3 and 4 can be done online?

d. Will step 4 cause any performance degradation? (How should it take?)

Thank you in advance.