[DRBD-user] performance under difficult circumstances

Richard Hector richard at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 21 13:21:13 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 08:34 +0200, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Friday, 21. August 2009, Richard Hector wrote:
>
> > I'm aiming for a 3-way setup, with 2 local (proto C) and one remote
> > (proto A) box.
> >
> > The two local machines are connected by a direct Gbit link (same rack);
> > the other is over the internet (theoretical max 100Mbit I think;
> > practically probably much lower) with a RTT of around 18ms.
>
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'm obviously happy to attempt to
> > answer questions, since I know my description is inadequate :-)
>
> DRBD proxy comes to my mind: http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-drbd-proxy.html

Yes, it looks like it would deal with the issues I'm having nicely.
Unfortunately (for the purposes of finding a solution), we're pretty
much an Open Source shop - which is why I hadn't looked at it in detail
for a while. There are very few cases in which I think we'd seriously
consider a closed solution.

Richard