[DRBD-user] DRBD and LVM Snapshots on Secondary

Hany Fahim hany at vmdevlabs.com
Wed Aug 12 22:40:17 CEST 2009

Hey Everyone,
I'm sorry to bring up such an old thread:
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2004-April/000485.html

But I'm trying to achieve the same thing, and I'm wondering if this is at
all possible since this was posted back in 2004. I have a 2-node setup in
Primary-Secondary mode. LVM2 sits on top of DRBD. Now due to the enormous
performance penalty incurred when taking an LVM snapshot of an active LV, I
was wondering if it's possible to take the snapshot on the secondary node
only for backup purposes, while leaving the primary untouched. I wouldn't
care about the performance hit to the secondary, I'm only concerned with the
data being "consistent", and not necessarily "clean".

Your help would be appreciated.

hany