[DRBD-user] primary-primary with split brain resulting in read-only operation?

Scott Bronson bronson at rinspin.com
Sat Apr 18 20:44:24 CEST 2009

I'd like to set up a primary-primary DRBD setup under GFS or OCFS2
(haven't decided which one yet).  The catch is, I have somewhat odd
split brain needs.

Very quickly, if the two nodes split, I'd like one node to continue
operating as usual and the other one to go read-only for the duration
of the split brain.  Is this a good idea?  Is it reasonable to do with
DRBD?

A longer description...  Let's call the two nodes primaryA and primaryB.

If primaryB disappears, I want primaryA to continue operating as normal.
It should appear to primaryA clients that nothing has changed.  When
primaryB comes back, it will resync and the cluster will quietly return
to regular dual primary operation.

If primaryA disappears, I want primaryB to immediately drop into
read-only mode.  primaryB clients should still be able to read blocks
but every attempt to write will throw an error until primaryA comes back.
When primaryA returns, there's nothing to sync because nothing has
changed, and the cluster quietly returns to dual primary operation.

Would DRBD be a good tool to use?  Thanks

    - Scott