[DRBD-user] HVM windows servers with xen/drbd/ha failover

Scott Inderlied scott at northwestcomputer.biz
Fri Apr 10 10:13:32 CEST 2009

I'm in the process of setting up a DRBD 2-node cluster with 2
instances of windows server (one 2003, one 2008) virtualized in xen
and a samba or possibly later iscsi data share volume. I've got CentOS
5.3 and DRBD 8.3.1 on LVM volumes. I've got DRBD up and working and
almost have heartbeat (no hbstatus on one node, troubleshooting
presently).
My concern is what i've got to do to make live migration work with
hvm. The documentation states:
"Under these circumstances, you must use the traditional phy: device
syntax and the DRBD device name that is associated with your resource,
not the resource name. That, however, requires that you manage DRBD
state transitions outside Xen, which is a less flexible approach than
that provided by the drbd  resource type."

Is this much more difficult to set up than with the drbd: disk
resource? Can heartbeat handle the state and xen transitions? I'm
using CRM so can i use the Xen OCF with the drbddisk agent? If anyone
has experience with similar situations i'd welcome the advice.
--
TIA,
Scott