[DRBD-user] drbd or rsync?

Sally-Anne Edwards sallyanne.edwards at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:04:29 CEST 2009

> I don’t think its suitable as an actual backup of your files.
> Having reliable backups/etc are worth it even if its just that one time
> "somebody" (may or may not have been me) has overwritten the wrong file on
> the customers live copy.
> Drbd would have gone and happily deleted the file's data like you asked.
> If you were backing up with rsync its still there in the last backup you
> did, and the archived backups, and the offsite copies.. etc.

Firstly, I notice a lot of people's replies are coming to me and not
the entire list - maybe the list configuration needs to be tweaked -
thanks to those who replied

I do understand that drbd is not backup.

In my situation, I don't own the servers in the data centre.  I have a
good tape drive in another location.  So I need to replicate before I
can backup.  Does this seem unreasonable, whether it is done with drbd
or rsync?  Getting a tape drive in the data centre would add a lot of
cost, and would mean that other people are handling the tapes (I know
they can be encrypted, but that's more effort too)