[DRBD-user] drbd secondary stays 'inconsistent' if 'large' partition is created

Kirby Bakken kirbyb at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 24 15:47:36 CEST 2008

I have two identical systems, both with a RAID controller.  The first
'drive' is two 143GB SCSI drives, so there's 240GB or so combined storage.
 If I create 'small' partitions on /dev/sda, drbd seems to work fine.  But
when I create partitions that approach the actual size of the hard-disk,
the syncer finishes, but the secondary drbd0 device stays 'inconsistent'.

I've tried partitions of 8000 cylinders (that worked).  I just tried
140000, and it stays inconsistent..  (The actualy cylinder count is
140013).

Here's the 140000 cylinder cound attempt that stayed inconstent:

HELP!  What the heck is going on?

Here's the drbd.conf:

global {
  usage-count yes;
}

common {
  protocol C;
  syncer { rate 100M; }
}

resource r0 {

  on fspnfstest1.austin.ibm.com {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/sda1;
     address    192.168.0.2:7788;
     meta-disk  /dev/mapper/rootvg-data[0];
  }

  on fspnfstest2.austin.ibm.com {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/sda1;
     address   192.168.0.3:7788;
     meta-disk /dev/mapper/rootvg-data[0];
  }

Kirby Bakken
ESW Build Architect
Rochester, MN
email: kirbyb at us.ibm.com
ezpage:kirbyb
507-253-4549 / Tie:  553-4549
Fax:  507-253-3495

......one more straw can't possibly matter....