[DRBD-user] Reboot either machine in the pair during active transfer and the other reboots

Henri Cook henri at orion-hosting.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 02:05:25 CEST 2008

I would very much like to try a newer DRBD version, however compiling a
custom kernel on these machines which have already been placed in a DC
seems risky and makes future maintenance an issue (harder to upgrade).

The reboot is a hard-reboot (I added some shutdown actions to /etc/rc6.d
to determine this) and could possibly be OCFS2 although I cannot find
any documented instances of any such action on its part (or DRBDs of
course).

I assume it's DRBD only because if i'm 'watch'ing /proc/drbd the crash
occurs within the same second as DRBD switches from Primary/Primary to
Primary/Unknown and registers the cstate NetworkFailure.

It is certainly something within DRBD or OCFS2 although I can totally
appreciate this may have been fixed in a more recent version, I only
wish I could try it out. Although if it doesn't ring a bell with you
Lars it may be something new (although I can't imagine how no one else
could have come across it in a similar situation).

I'm likely switching to an active-passive configuration as at this
version that's presumably the more tried and tested solution and
resolves this quickly for my client.

Reboot sane, writes to a log file - sends an email, waits a few seconds
then issues a standard 'reboot'

I will request a KVM serial console to see if there are any messages as
you describe, a most helpful suggestion.

Thanks again for your response, and apologies for the frantic nature of
my posts, i'm under a lot of pressure to get it sorted! :-)

Henri

--
*Henri Cook*
Orion Internet Services Ltd.
E: henri at orion-hosting.co.uk

Company registration number: 6365589 (registered in England & Wales)