[DRBD-user] block-drbd and Xen

Alexandre Biancalana biancalana at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:06:37 CEST 2008

On 9/2/08, Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
> Alexandre,

Hi Florian ! Thank you very much for the response.

>  As discussed a number of times previously, the drbd:resource method only
>  works if you are _not_ using pygrub or domUloader.py, as those two make
>  assumptions about VBD's that are limited to supporting regular files and
>  block devices already available in /dev. If you _are_ using pygrub, or
>  domUloader.py, or (probably) anything else that is invoked via the
>  "bootloader" option, the drbd:resource syntax is not for you.

I'm not using pygrub or domUloader.py. Actually I'm not using any
"bootloader" option.

>  So if you want to use live migration in conjunction with DRBD-backed
>  Xen, you can
>  - use "kernel", "ramdisk" and "extra" options, and drbd:resource in your
>  "disk" section (this means you wouldn't be using any of said
>  pseudo-bootloaders), or
>  - use a bootloader such as pygrub and domUloader.py, and refer to your
>  VBD as phy:/dev/drbdXX, or
>  - use a bootloader such as pygrub and domUloader.py, and refer to your
>  VBD as phy:/dev/vg/lv, while using CLVM on top of DRBD. or
>  - use a bootloader such as pygrub and domUloader.py, and use a file:
>  VBD, where that file is located on GFS o OCFS2 on top of DRBD.
>
>  All of these require dual-Primary mode, and it is up to you to make sure
>  your two cluster nodes don't start the affected Xen domU twice and thus
>  produce conflicting writes on said device. The drbd:resource syntax, and
>  the associated Xen block script, only is designed to make that easier
>  for you.

Follow my configuration to clear the things:

name   = "app01"
builder = "hvm"

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/boot/hvmloader"
device_model = "/usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/bin/qemu-dm"

memory = 256

disk    = [ 'drbd:app01.disk,hda,w', 'file:/iso/w2k_server.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']

boot = "dc"

sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
vncdisplay=1
vncconsole=0
stdvga=0
serial='pty'

When I try to boot the vm with the above configuration I can't access
the specified disk, but, If I change the disk line by:

disk    = [ 'phy:/dev/drbd0,hda,w', 'file:/iso/w2k_server.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']

everything work.

My doubt is if it will work with drbd: or I must use phy:

Thank you again!