[DRBD-user] block-drbd and Xen

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 05:39:17 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Alexandre Biancalana
<biancalana at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/08, Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Alexandre Biancalana
>>  <biancalana at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hi list,
>>  >
>>  >  I know that this subject was discussed before but I don't find any
>>  > definitive answer to this question, so I hope that this message can
>>  > help people finding this in future.
>>

>> Doesn't matter. Most people seem to find the *official* answer, which
>>  *official* people refuse to change, yet many times just does not work.
>
> Hi Jerry !
>
> I just want something that work....

Naturally.

>>  >  I installed Debian 4 (etch), Xen 3.2 and DRBD 8.0.13 (from
>>  > backports).  The objective is to build a two-node Linux HA to
>>  > virtualize some legacy services and development machines.
>>  >
>>  >  My question is about block-drbd script, when I try to boot a virtual
>>  > machine using a drbd disk resource like this:
>>  >
>>  > disk   = [ 'drbd:app01,hda,w' ]
>>

>> Why did you use that?
>
> Because theoretically when I use drbd: instead phy: Xen call
> block-drbd script that  handles the necessary DRBD resource state
> transitions, right ?

What I meant to ask is, where, specifically, you obtained the idea,
instead of the more "xen-oriented" phy: syntax ...

>> Of course phy: works great. Fortunately, with allow-two-primaries;,
>>  and other controls, DRBD 8.x can do Xen live migration, even using
>>  phys: ...
>
> I already read that, but if everything (including state transition and
> consequently live migration) work directly with phy: why block-drbd
> (drbd:) exists at all ???

Because, when it works, it's more "modular", and can blend in with the
transparency that comes with virtualization. For now, however, it just
wastes time for those of us who choose to call attention to it... ;-)

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".