[DRBD-user] State change failed: (-12)

Allen Chen allen.chen at csagroupllc.com
Tue Nov 11 01:35:46 CET 2008

Hi,

I just set up drbd on 2 of my servers, and everything seemed to work
well until I ran into this...I crashed the primary node, and when it
came back online it assumed a secondary position as expected. However,
when I try 'drbdadm secondary r0' on the backup server I get this error:

# /sbin/drbdadm secondary r0
/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 secondary' terminated with exit code
11

Then I tried several other commands, and got the same error:

# /sbin/drbdadm down r0
/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down' terminated with exit code 11

# /sbin/service drbd stop
Stopping all DRBD resources/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-12) Device
is held open by someone
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down' terminated with exit code 11
command exited with code 11
ERROR: Module drbd is in use
.

When I tried to overwrite it with the primary server it still did not
work:

# drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary r0
/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-1) Multiple primaries not allowed by
config
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary --overwrite-data-of-peer'
terminated with exit code 11

Any idea what would be causing this?

Thanks,
Allen