[DRBD-user] Initializing DRBD resource and Data loss?

Alireza Nematollahi alirezan at redback.com
Thu Nov 6 05:47:02 CET 2008

Hi guys,

I have configured a resource say drbd0 and it is up and everything is alright. Now, I stop DRBD and do:

#drbdadm create-md drbd0
e-md drbd0
md_offset 0
al_offset 4096
bm_offset 36864

Found some data
 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

Valid meta data seems to be in place.
Do you really want to overwrite?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm]

Does this really destroy the data on the disk? I am working on a bash script to automate some of the day-to-day tasks like this and wanted to know if this really has a negative effect on my existing data. By the way, I am using external meta data.

Thanks a lot!