[DRBD-user] Trouble getting RAID5 on top of DRBD to work..

drbd at bobich.net drbd at bobich.net
Fri May 30 19:12:56 CEST 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Tim Nufire wrote:

> What I really want is RAID16 since it has incredible reliability along with
> the low impact failure modes of RAID1/RAID10... Which brings me back to my
> original question.... Can I create a RAID6 array on top of DRBD devices. I
> already have the DRBD mirrors setup and know how to create RAID10 using LVM.
> I can use mdadm to create a RAID5/6 array on top of DRBD volumes and
> everything works on the initial node. The problem is that I can't assemble
> the array on the mirrored node :-/

Have you failed the DRBD devices over to the backup node before
re-assembling the array (e.g. by shutting down the primary node)? If you
are running in primary/secondary, the secondary devices won't work until
they become primary.

I don't think you can run DRBD in primary/primary if you are running md on
top.

Gordan