[DRBD-user] The 'cram-hmac-alg' you specified is not known in the kernel. (Maybe you need to modprobe it, or modprobe hmac?)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 30 12:54:28 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:37:03AM +0200, Martin Gombac wrote:
> I guess i'll just leave the encryption out for now. :-(
> Regards,
> M.

please note that DRBD does no encryption at all,
not on the device, nor on the wire.

the feature you are trying to use here is intended to make sure
during the DRBD handshake, that the entities talking to each other
are in fact intended to do so -- using a shared secret per resource,
and exchanging hash values to authenticate.

the intention here is to make it unlikely that someone hacking a small
perl "drbd-client" is able to trick your drbd to give im a cleartext
dump of the full device - because he does not know the shared secret.

if someone later manages to intercept or hijack the DRBD tcp replication
connection, that is still all clear text. i.e. tcpdump of the drbd
replication link always shows clear text data.

if you want to have that encrypted, you need to set up some VPN,
or put a dm-crypt target on top of DRBD, or both.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :