[DRBD-user] drbd8 and 80+ 1TB mirrors/cluster, can it be done?

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Tue May 27 07:51:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:51:38 -0700 Tim Nufire wrote:

> * 2 Dell 2900 Servers with dual quad-core Xeons & 2 GB of RAM
Memory is dirt cheap these days. Maybe not from Dell, but in general.
Your system will benefit much more from 8GB or more of memory than
more CPU power, given what you said about it's purpose.

> * 80 SATA ports per server from HighPoint RocketRAID PCI cards and
> built-in bays
> * 80 1TB HDs per server, mostly in external enclosures

This sounds like a lot of pain and suffering in the making, you will
probably be a lot better off with something like this:
http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=RMC8E-XP-SM%28++RSC-8ED-D5R-SA1C1-0-R%29&Category_Code=6U%2F8U+Rackmounts

> I am running Debian "Etch" 4.0r3 i386, drbd v8.0.12, Heartbeat v2.0.7,
> LVM v2.02.07 and mdadm v2.5.6. I'm using MD to assigned stable device
> names (RAID1 with just 1 disk, /dev/md0, /dev/md1, etc...), drbd8 to
> mirror the disks 1-1 to the second server and then lvm to create a few
> logical volumes on top of the drbd8 mirrors.

You might want to check out Debian backports for more up to date packages
where it matters, like heartbeat.
And you really want to use a resilient approach on the lowest level, in
your case RAID5 over the whole disks (with one spare at least given that
with 80 drives per node you are bound to have disk failures frequently
enough). In fact I'd question the need for having a DRBD mirror of
archive backups in the first place, but that is your call and money. ^^

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services