[DRBD-user] EEntOS?

José E. Colón jose.colon at gae.cayey.upr.edu
Sat May 24 22:20:08 CEST 2008

Oh yes the Debian SSL issue. Hummm, let's see how the evil Ubuntu
company maintainers decided to deal with this:

(User / Sysadmin point of view)

$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Oh my! It's informing me of this evil broken SSH keys issue and
offering to re-generate any compromised keys for me. I choose yes and
guess what? All fixed. Wow, those Ubuntu maintainers must be getting
paid a whole lot of money to offer their community this kind of ease
of use for free.

I don't see why they would go to such trouble since re-generating keys
is only a matter of a few lines at the shell...  ;]

I'm not here to put down the honest hard time and effort that
maintainers offer up for free or for ridiculously low pay to produce
high quality software packages that users of nearly any literacy level
can use. It's just that in the bustle and hustle of maintaining a
distro, the ultimate goal could lose focus amidst all the technical
details.  Linux distros are all about being useful and friendly to
their user base. Anyone with other desires (bleeding edge, max
control, etc.) can turn to Linux From Scratch for satisfaction. ;)

The good thing is that recent replies from the maintainers were very
informative as to the reasoning behind the version change. IMHO,
that's the way a community discussion should be conducted, with facts,
evidence, statistics, knowledge transfer that convinces people.  Sharp
snapping back with the "Wrath of the Sys Admin Gods" leads only to
rebellion.

Best regards to all.

--
------