[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

Art Age Software artagesw at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:25:21 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Gordan Bobic <drbd at bobich.net> wrote:
> If you are afraid of looking after your own package collection, you really
> should reconsider your calling as a systems administrator.

I never claimed to be a "systems administrator."

> Arguably, if you are _that_ concerned about stability, you shouldn't be
> upgrading _anything_ unless you verifiably run into a bug. Blindly running
> yum update is a recipe for disaster.

I agree. And I don't blindly run updates. DRBD 8.0.11 has a verifiable
and critical bug with respect to dopd and failover handling. I want to
specifically update the DRBD package + any dependencies and nothing
more.

> So I seriously suggest you wake up and smell the coffee. Rebuilding DRBD
> RPMs from the tar ball sources available for download is a trivial effort.
> You spent more time writing the original email than it would have taken you
> to build the rpm packages if you'd actually bothered to try.

Really, no need to be snippy. This is about more than the time it
takes to download and build a tarball once. It is about the ongoing
maintenance of a complicated system which is made easier by the
availability of pre-built maintained packages. It isn't as if I am
asking CentOS to add some new package that I need just to save me a
bit of time. This is a case where something that was there (8.0.x
support) was suddenly taken away, leaving those of us who were
depending on continued support for the 8.0 branch in the lurch and now
looking for other solutions.

I am seriously surprised that this has turned out to be such a
controversial issue. Managed package repositories are all about
leverage. Sure, I and hundreds of other users could figure out how to
build and maintain our own 8.0 builds. Would it not be better to have
the CentOS repo do that for us? Isn't that its purpose? Seems to me
that there is a really simple solution to this issue. Support 8.0 in
Extras and 8.2 in Plus. Problem solved. Why the controversy?

Wait, don't answer that. I realize at this point we are way off-topic
for the DRBD list. I would still like to hear the DRBD devs weigh in,
per the intent of my initial post.

Cheers.