[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

Gordan Bobic drbd at bobich.net
Fri May 23 23:27:21 CEST 2008

Art Age Software wrote:
>> Why don't you maintain the 8.0 RPMs for RHEL and/or CentOS, so yourself and
>> other 8.0 users can continue to use it while CentOSExtras/Plus moves towards
>> 8.2 or sits at an old 8.0 release?
>
> This does not solve the issue. First, I don't have the resources to
> create and host a public repository for this purpose. Second, I don't
> have the expertise to do so. This is what I rely on the CentOS
> repository to do for me.

I think the latter point here is the crux of the issue. Sadly, the only
solution here is the one you don't want to hear.

>> Considering the amount of time invested in this discussion, someone could
>> have just built the RPMs already and stuck them somewhere for download.
>
> A one-off build does not address the issue of continuing updates going forward.

No, but running 5 lines of shell to build your own RPMs from the tar
ball isn't exactly an excruciating effort. Or at least it shouldn't be.

> Is it so surprising that I do not want to be a package maintainer?

It is shocking that you are making this big a deal out of it, yes.

> This is why I chose a managed distro like RHEL/CentOS in the first
> place.

Your expectations are too great for any distro. See the list of issues
in the current RHEL5 that I ran into in the past month which have not
yet been fixed, that I posted earlier in this thread. And other distros
are at least as bad, often worse. At least with OSS you have a fighting
chance to fix the problems yourself or hire somebody to do it for you.

Gordan