[DRBD-user] DRBD slow sync

Anže Vidmar anze.vidmar at interseek.si
Mon May 19 11:56:24 CEST 2008

hello list!

I've setup a fresh install of DRBD + OCFS2 on the machine with the
following properties:

OS: (Bluewhite64 12) Linux 2.6.23.9-2
ARCH: x86_64
CPU:8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5430  @ 2.66GHz
eth0 = 1Gb
DRBD version =  8.2.5

The problem is that DRBD sync in very slooooow, around 315k/s. There is
no way I can speed-up the process. The storage with OCFS2 is 3.2T large
and it's build on hardware RAID5 + 1 spare.

Here is what I've already did:

- changed the UTP cable (cross and regular)
- tried with kernel that has DRBD included in, and kernel + DRBD module
- I've test the data transfer directly on eth1 - the transfer was normal
aroung 75M/s, so the link between the secondary (eth1) NIC's is ok
- played with ethtool - I've setup the card to 100/1000M, half/full
duplex... No change
- tweaking drbd.conf "net" parameters. No speed change at all.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the slow sync? Is this normal
for the 1st time sync?

Thank you.

Anze