[DRBD-user] DRBD

Rob Morin rob at dido.ca
Mon May 12 17:46:16 CEST 2008

alex at crackpot.org wrote:
> Quoting Rob Morin <rob at dido.ca>:
>

>> Rob Morin wrote:
>>> Hello all, i have heartbeat and drbd working 95% ok, i just have
>>> this weird issue with users that use InnoDB in mysql. It would seem
>>>  that each time teh secondary takes over i have problems with any
>>> databases that are InnoDB, form what i found googling it has to do
>>> with mysql doing a crash recovery check after mysql comes up on the
>>>  failover node...
>>>
>>> Can some point me in the right direction to try and resolve this issue?
>>>
>>> I am using DRBD version 8.0.7-1 via Debian Etch
>>>
>>> Thanks...
>>>

>> I just thought that maybe the mysql logs should be on the DRBD
>> partition too..... so i will do a test and see what happens, i will
>> post the results tomorrow...
>>

> Do you mean the InnoDB logs?  (ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1, etc?)  Yes,
> those should 100% be on the drbd device.  Actually, all your log files
> probably should be, but those Innodb log files seem most relevant to
> the issue you've mentioned.  They aren't human-readable notes about
> what's going on (like a syslog or error log), they're a list of
> transactions that Innodb hasn't yet flushed out to the data files.
>
> If MySQL was shut down cleanly (controlled migration) and the log
> files are missing, Innodb will just re-create them.  After a clean
> shutdown, there are no unflushed transactions, so there's nothing
> interesting in the logs.  Not a big deal.  But, it will make startup
> take a lot longer as the log files are created.
>
> In the event of an actual crash of your master (unclean shutdown of
> MySQL) you must have those files available to get your Innodb data
> back into a consistent state.
>
> alex

Actually i was talking about the other log files....  mysql-bin.000001
mysql-bin.index  mysql-slow.log  the ib_logfile1log files are already in
the same place.....  anyways i moved over the other log files, so i hope
it makes a difference....  Also if they are rebuilding or recovering,
they will eventually start working normally, i mean i should give those
databases some time like 5 mins to get back to normal after the
secondary takes over, i should not have to worry about it?

Thanks..

Rob Morin
Dido Internet Inc.
Montreal,Canada