[DRBD-user] DRBD over a WAN, alternatives?

Nate Carlson drbd at natecarlson.com
Fri Mar 21 02:33:10 CET 2008

Hey all,

I'm happily using DRBD on a local cluster of systems, with both nodes
writable and ocfs2 as the filesystem. It works great.

I'm looking at making this cluster geographically diverse, with each end
having a 100mbit link to the internet. A few base questions:

1) Has anyone deployed DRBD in this scenario? How did it work for you?
2) Is DRBD "smart" at all about what it transfers over the WAN (I
essentially pay per-byte), or does it just transmit block changes as they
are made?

Also, is there any way to scale DRBD out to 3+ nodes?

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience (or even names) of other
products that can do replication to 2+ nodes, have it writable on both
sides, etc. I'm familiar with PeerFS and Constasnt Replicator (owned by
some other compoany now), but would love to hear any experiences or any
other apps that will do this.

Thanks!