[DRBD-user] Resync causing high load on peer

Ítalo Rossi adm.italo at digi.com.br
Tue Mar 18 20:32:18 CET 2008

Hello all,

We have two nodes with drbd8.2.5 installed (redhat AS - kernel
2.6.23.12 and debian etch - kernel 2.6.22).

My primary node (debian etch) needed to be halted for some time, so I
put the secondary node on primary state and run my services without
any problem.

When the other (debian etch) node become active, the resync cause a
high load average on the redhat node (~= 130).

Suspecting of low I/O's capacity and my application having hard write
on disk, I've tried to reduce the transfer rate from 100M to 30M but:

# drbdadm adjust -d resource
7018381312s: out of range

Out of range?!?

I decided to pause the resync process until this question is answered..

Thanks in advance!

dmesg output:

drbd1: conn( Unconnected -> WFConnection )
drbd1: Handshake successful: Agreed network protocol version 88
drbd1: conn( WFConnection -> WFReportParams )
drbd1: Starting asender thread (from drbd1_receiver [2558])
drbd1: data-integrity-alg: <not-used>
drbd1: peer( Unknown -> Secondary ) conn( WFReportParams ->
WFBitMapS ) pdsk( DUnknown -> UpToDate )
drbd1: Writing meta data super block now.
drbd1: conn( WFBitMapS -> SyncSource ) pdsk( UpToDate -> Inconsistent )
drbd1: Began resync as SyncSource (will sync 84275596 KB [21068899
bits set]).
drbd1: Writing meta data super block now.
drbd1: conn( SyncSource -> PausedSyncS ) peer_isp( 0 -> 1 )
drbd1: Resync suspended

[root at megatron ~]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.2.5 (api:88/proto:86-88)
GIT-hash: 9faf052fdae5ef0c61b4d03890e2d2eab550610c build by root at megatron.digi.com.br
, 2008-02-28 01:26:56
  1: cs:PausedSyncT st:Secondary/Primary ds:Inconsistent/UpToDate C r--u
     ns:0 nr:2697325 dw:2697325 dr:0 al:0 bm:645 lo:1 pe:0 ua:1 ap:0
	resync: used:0/31 hits:196620 misses:16606 starving:0 dirty:0 changed:
16606
	act_log: used:0/127 hits:0 misses:0 starving:0 dirty:0 changed:0

--
Ítalo Rossi
Administração de redes
adm.italo at digi.com.br
(+55) 84 4008-9000

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, pode conter informação
confidencial e/ou
privilegiada. Se você não for o destinatário ou a pessoa autorizada a
receber
esta mensagem, não pode usar, copiar ou divulgar as informações nela
contidas ou tomar qualquer ação baseada nessas informações. Se você
recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor avise imediatamente o
remetente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apague-o. Agradecemos sua
cooperação.

This message, including its attachments, may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the recipient or authorized
person to
receive this message, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any
action based
on this message or any information herein. If you received this message
by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by replying the e-
mail and
deleting this message. Thank you for your cooperation.