MD by HB management; was: [DRBD-user] Why isn't DRBD recognized as valid LVM PV?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Mar 13 19:05:54 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:15:34PM +0100, Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> > I stacked my devices like
> >
> > 0xfd partition => level 1 MD => DRBD => LVM2 PV
> >
> > As I see from the haresources of the old cluster
> > the MDs haven't been managed by Heartbeat separately yet.
> >
> > I assume because of the 0xfd part. type that the arrays are auto
> > assembled according to the UUIDs of their members already within
> > initrd on boot up,
> > including the one which serves as the base of the DRBD.
> >
> > I would like to change this so that assembly and stopping of
> > this particular MD array is entirely performed by heartbeat.

> I think what I want (viz. discriminate autoraid assembly)isn't going
> to work because, of course the OS /boot MD as well as the MD PV of
> vg00 require to be autostarted.

and "the one which serves as the base of the DRBD"
does not need to be autostarted? why?

I don't see why you would want heartbeat
to manage your md raids in your setup at all.

that would only be useful (and necessary) if you had that md on
"shared scsi" disk, which obviously could only be active
on one node at a time, so it would need to be assembled
on failover time after stonith succeeded fencing the other node.

I don't see any use for this in a DRBD setup.
I think it would even be cumbersome to setup, since you need the md
active even on the "passive", namely currently Secondary, DRBD node.

am I missing something?

--
: commercial DRBD/HA support and consulting: sales at linbit.com :
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :