[DRBD-user] DRBD LVM2 Trouble

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Thu Mar 6 20:48:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Tyler Seaton wrote:

[...]

> At any rate. We dodged a bullet this time and while we did have quite a
> scare, I still believe DRBD has a place in our infrastructure.
>
> Please any additional comments and or insights are welcome.

>From the level of 'freak out' you communicated during this, I am inferring
you don't have good backups that you could quickly restore operations
from. You should have good onsite and offsite backups regardless of DRBD
or any other 'High Availability/Redundancy' technology. HA != backups.

Fix that before you do anything else.

A couple of inexpensive boxes filled with 8x750GB drives in a RAID5 or
RAID6 with rsync over ssh backups and database replication slaves on them
will do wonders for both your peace of mind and for your business
continuity plans.

Because Bad Things (tm) _always_ happen to servers soon or later.

--
Benjamin Franz

Before you get too proud of how fast you are making progress,
be sure it is in the correct direction.