[DRBD-user] external meta data in a file - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 3 13:45:43 CET 2008

Martin Gombac schrieb:
> I vote for having this functionality in drbd too even with performance
> downgrade. :-)

I don't think having meta data in a file should cause any performance
downgrade (versus external meta data on a separate block device). After
all, meta data is not that big.
Surely, it should win performance-wise against internal meta.

A concern could be consistency of meta data placed on a file system, in
case of a crash. Although on a filesystem like ext3, with default
data=ordered, it should not be a problem, too. Certainly, it's not a
problem for RAID bitmap placed in a file.
Additionally, the file could have "S" attribute set to write the changes
synchronously to omit caching.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org