[DRBD-user] drbdadm verify all seems to produce false positives on ext3 and crash the server

Eric Marin eric.marin at utc.fr
Wed Jun 25 09:57:52 CEST 2008

Yeah, I think the cable is not the culprit.

RAM seems OK, Memtest didn't detect anything (tested during 20h).
The server uses Fully Buffered, which I'm pretty sure corrects errors.
System Memory Testing is enabled in the BIOS.

I think the problem lies with the RAID controller.
Debian Etch (and Ubuntu) doesn't provide a recent enough driver to work
reliably with this recent controller, according to this post :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=eee2a8d3d4447c3e355014c18770e89b&t=719556
I dismissed the warning about the obsolete driver (minimal required
driver version = 00.00.03.13 ; I use 00.00.03.01); I shouldn't have.

I suppose this could explain the crashes under heavy I/O load (with
drbdadm verify all), the data corruption, and something else I
experienced yesterday :
1) a kernel panic right at the very beginning of the boot process ! :
"(...)
  <0> Kernel Panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill the idle task !"

2) after forcibly rebooting the server, it remained stuck in a loop :
"Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  Starting Systems Management Device Drivers
  Starting ipmi driver :
  (...)"

3) the third boot (this time, I chose single user mode and pressed
Ctrl+D to "continue") remained stuck for about ten seconds on :
"INIT : Entering runlevel : 2
  Starting system log daemon : syslogd
  Starting kernel log daemon : klogd"
  then continued normally.

Besides, the firmware has just been updated on DELL's site with
criticality = urgent.

Eric