[DRBD-user] 10Gb ethernet ?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Jun 19 19:00:45 CEST 2008

Ralf Gross wrote:
> Lars Ellenberg schrieb:
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 01:03:11PM +0100, Lee Christie wrote:
>>> In any event, I'm no expert on channel bonding, but in a 2-server
>>> configuration, where the Ips and MAC addresses are fixed at either end,
>>> how can you use all 4 channels ? I was always under the impression that
>>> the bonding used an algorithm based on src/dest IP/Mac to choose which
>>> link to send data down, so in a point to point config it would always be
>>> the same link.
>> "balance-rr" aka mode 0 for linux bonding schedules packets round robin
>> over the available links.
>
> balance-rr will not help in a cisco environment, because the switch
> will still use the same ports and does not perform rr load balancing.
> The only way to get rr working with cisco switches was to use 2
> different vlans.
>
> eth0 <---- vlan x ----> eth0
> eth1 <---- vlan y ----> eth1
>
> At least this is my experience and our CCNP's (or what they are
> called) told me the same.

I most clusters _we_ configure, this is irrelevant because the
replication link, bonded or not, is back-to-back and doesn't go through
switches at all.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.