[DRBD-user] slow disk throughput

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Jun 17 10:01:45 CEST 2008

William, Lee,

William Francis wrote:
>> Raw throughput on the same RAID10 array, non-drbd partition:
>>
>> time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/delete/out.file bs=1M count=5000

You're not measuring throughput. You're measuring a mixture of
throughput and latency, and not that of your disk but that of your page
cache.

Also, you didn't give us much information about your underlying storage
subsystem (SCSI or SATA, BBWC or not, disk speed & capacity, etc.). The
DRBD version you are using would also be very helpful.

Lee Christie wrote:
> We're also building a mail cluster. Designing for around 200,000 users
> and starting capacity of 5TB - a little bigger than your project.
>
> Mail me offlist if you want to share any strategies with regards
> drbd/failover/backup/filesystem etc.

You can (both of you), also go to http://www.linbit.com/en/contact/,
select "DRBD Performance Tuning" and/or "Consultancy Services" and leave
your contact details. :-)

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas                               Tel +43-1-8178292-60  :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH          Fax +43-1-8178292-82  :

This e-mail is solely for use by the intended recipient(s). Information
contained in this e-mail and its attachments may be confidential,
privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby formally notified that any use, copying, disclosure or
distribution of the contents of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is
prohibited. Also please notify immediately the sender by return e-mail
and delete this e-mail from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.