[DRBD-user] 8.0.12 userland safe with 8.0.11 kernel module?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jul 18 10:30:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 07:04:16PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:48:40 +0200 Florian Haas wrote:
>
> > Christian Balzer wrote:
> > >>
> > > That's what I thought and I why I asked. Oh well, time schedule some
> > > downtime.
> >
> > You do realize that without a matching kernel module, none of any new
> > features the DRBD userland exposes will actually work. So it really
> > doesn't do you any good to just upgrade the userland tools.
> >
> Of course I realize that. It was a question aimed to ease/streamline the
> upgrade process. Get/install userland now, fix the bloody ownership and
> permissions of drbdadm and friends _again_ so they work with heartbeat
> (hello package maintainer :-p). And then do the happy dance of
> failover a->b, restart a (well, reload module), failover b->a, restart b
> at an opportune moment.

actually, you can upgrade the userland tools without upgrading the
kernel module, userland is (supposed to be) backwards compatible.

what you should to avoid, though, is a newer module with older userland,
as that may break things in non-obvious ways, e.g. the module calling
userland helpers that userland does not know about...

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :