[DRBD-user] backing up - which is best solution to provide 99.99% uptime?

Bob Goldberg bobg.hahc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:27:35 CEST 2008

Hello all;

I posted an Email about some problems I'm having with drbd booting up and
fsck issues...
I am still curious if anyone has an answer to that question...

but in reading more of the Email from this group, I find myself backing up,
and re-asking a more basic question - am I using the correct solution?

(from my last Email)

running debian etch; drbd v0.7; along with HA; under ext3 filesystems;
[snip]

when I bring up the primary system I get (during boot): fsck fails on
/dev/drbd0 [snip]
 What I believe is happening is: the drbd module isn't being loaded before
the system boot process wants to run fsck process...
what's the best way to fix this? [snip]
<<

SO - here's what I really want: 2 server's fully redundant with each other -
running several vmware virtual servers. If 1 system fails, the other system
seemlessly provides access to the virtual servers,  without any interruption
of service to the network. I would prefer a solution which only requires 2
physical servers.

Here's my current solution: drbd with HA (high availability)
What I'm finding, is that HA is not an "instant" availability solution. So
now I'm wondering if I need some other clustering solution.

Anyone have suggestions on what's the best solution, and which applications
provide same?

TIA - Bob