[DRBD-user] drbd partition fails fsck on boot !?

Bob Goldberg bobg.hahc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 23:57:59 CEST 2008

running debian etch; drbd v0.7; along with HA; under ext3 filesystems;

both system were running fine, and drbd was working great.
assuming there was a power outage, now when I bring up the primary
system I get (during boot):

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/drbd0
the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.
fsck died with exit status 8    ....[snip]... superblock may be
corrupt.
<<

/dev/drbd0 is drbd's device to /dev/sdb1; which DOES fsck PERFECTLY.  (and I
ran a forced check to ensure all bits say OK)

this system isn't even coming up to runlevel 2...  going into maint.
mode....
 What I believe is happening is: the drbd module isn't being loaded before
the system boot process wants to run fsck process...
I'm pretty sure this was working before power event; but not 100% sure...
What I don't understand is: if this is true - why didn't the installation of
drbd make sure that modprobe drbd took place before any fsck??

And - what's the best way to fix this? I'm not 100% sure how the boot
process works, so I'm not sure what scripts might need to be mod'ed...

Any help appreciated...
TIA - Bob