[DRBD-user] Setting Up Red Hat Cluster..

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Jul 2 15:52:22 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 14:26:03 Singh Raina, Ajeet wrote:
> Well I know this forum is related to DRBD but As I know My firm wont let
> me purchase GFS I need another alternative.
> I posted the same question in fedoraforum and one of the expert advise
> me such:
>
> You could install the iscsi-target, and export some of the space via
> iscsi... that would work for the shared storage requirement.
> Of course, it would be best to buy a real iscsi array.
> ***************
>
> Can You please help me out setting the Shared Storage in the above
> case.just need your advise.

Using iSCSI as your shared storage would still require a clustered filesystem
to allow concurrent access to files from more than one node. (In theory you
could export /dev/drbd0 as an iSCSI device, but that doesn't get away from
iSCSI simply being a network block-device, not a filesystem).

If you simply want to have a filesystem mirrored to another system for use in
an Primary/Secondary scenario (typically using Heartbeat to provide
fail-over) then there is no need to use a clustered filesystem, since only
one node will be directly accessing the block-device at a time.
EXT3 will work just fine for this.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS