[DRBD-user] DRBD attempts to access beyond end of device

Nate Seif seifn at rstechnicalservices.com
Wed Feb 27 19:07:04 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 04:14:36PM -0500, Nate Seif wrote:
>> Hello all:
>> I intermittently experience the errors below while running DRBD and would
>> like to correct whatever condition is causing DRBD to randomly lose pages.
>> My hard disks and partitions are identical and have never given me
>> problems previously. I don't see any other disk I/O errors in my logs. And
>> it appears that occassionally (not always) these errors are preceded by a
>> resync of the two disks.
>>
>> Why would DRBD "attempt to access beyond end of device"?
>>
>> I am running DRBD 8.06 on Gentoo Linux as I could not get my latest
>> Gentoo kernel to load the DRBD module where version > 8.06. Metadata is
>> "internal" and I'm running Protocol C. I'd be happy to post my drbd.conf
>> page if necessary.
>>

>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> attempt to access beyond end of device
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> drbd0: rw=1, want=211992584, limit=211986944
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> Buffer I/O error on device drbd0, logical block
>> 26499072
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> lost page write due to I/O error on drbd0
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> attempt to access beyond end of device
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> drbd0: rw=1, want=211992592, limit=211986944
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> Buffer I/O error on device drbd0, logical block
>> 26499073
>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> lost page write due to I/O error on drbd0
>>

>> Any ideas, tips, help, etc. is much appreciated. Thank you -
>
> let me guess:
> you did mkfs /dev/sda1, not mkfs /dev/drbd0?
> well, you screwed up.

I did NOT mkfs on /dev/hda4. (I have DRBD running on a pair of IDE/PATA
disks and no SATA drives in either system.)

I partitioned my disks with fdisk. I have identical drives with
identically sized partitions. I compiled the DRBD module, started DRBD,
mounted /dev/drbd0 (not /dev/hda4), and formatted drbd0 with an ext3
file system on the primary only after I got DRBD up and running months
ago. My logs did not start recording these errors until several weeks ago.

Changes to my system over the last few months include only:
(1) compiled a new kernel, new DRBD module (same 8.0.6 version, though) a
couple of months before these errors began.
(2) I have updated a number of other software packages on my system but
none that I thought would affect my block devices or DRBD. Would upgrading
my UDEV software cause these problems?

Nate