[DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available, feedback requested

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Tue Feb 26 13:08:33 CET 2008

Hi

> We have just published an initial public draft of the all-new DRBD Users'
> Guide which will henceforth be available at http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/.

Very nice work. Thank you very much.

> This guide is going to be in "public draft" status all through the month of
> March. We request, strongly encourage and much appreciate feedback.
> Corrections are more than welcome, as are suggestions for improvement.

I skipped the LVM, cluster FS and DRBD Internal parts. Here are some
suggestions for the rest of the document.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-admin.html
Inconsistent. The data are inconsistent
s/are/is

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-enable-dual-primary.html
IIRC, become-primary-on-both; was introduces in a recent version. If so,
one could think of adding the version number as you did in several other
places.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resizing.html
"ensure that only one node is in primary state"
Is this to say that it works in a primary/primary configuration, but
only if you temporarily put one node to secondary mode? That could be
made clearer.

"are shrunk first"
the "first" should be highlighted imho :)

list point 7:
I think theres a \n missing after "/tmp/metadata"

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resolve-split-brain.html
"At this point, you must manually intervene"
A link might refer to the section about automatic split-brain recovery.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-heartbeat.html
"they are be started and stopped by the cluster manager"
s/be//
or maybe you meant "are to be"?

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-heartbeat.html
R1 can only deal with heartbeat and LSB Resources. OCF Resources are for
R2 only.
You even say so:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-heartbeat.html
Although - there is a wrapper for R1 that makes it possible to use OCF
RAs in R1, but I don't know how to use it and wether that should be
stated in this place.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-r1.html
"Resource group support is limited to two resource groups"
Thats not true.
You can have more than two resource groups. It's just that more than 2
groups are internally treated as one large group per node.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-dopd.html
This does not mention the difference in configurations with stonith
enabled. You might at least place a link to the blog here.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-internal.html
Although it *should* be clear, you could state that one needs to copy
block-drbd to /etc/xen/scripts
Or is block-drbd a part of xen by now?

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-heartbeat.html
As you earlier described R1 first, you might want to keep doing this.

Regards
Dominik