[DRBD-user] Recommended Hardware

rois rois at cobiz.com
Fri Feb 22 23:12:47 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 11:28 -0800, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Tom Brown wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Well, I can tell you that piecing together your own servers does not
> > work well. Even with an Asus mobo. Our home grown file servers are
> > failing. I am not the one who put them together and was not the one who
> > decided to build them from scratch. They will be replaced by Dell
> > PowerEdge SC1435 servers.
> >

> [...]
>
> That depends entirely on the skill of the person building them. Did you
> think that Dell servers sprang full formed from the forehead of Athena?
>
> A skilled technician can spec and assemble a reliable high end server
> class machine from parts for a fraction of the cost of a comparable Dell
> machine. Dell's are notoriously overpriced once you get beyond their entry
> level machines.
>
> An unskilled technician couldn't successfully spec and assemble even a
> reliable office desktop class machine (and they would spend more than
> buying an off-the-shelf machine in that class anyway).

I'd have to agree that you need to know what you are doing and that you
don't have to spend the "Dell" kind of money to get something rock
solid.  I have a gateway/firewall I built for peanuts about 10 years ago
on a 486 that is still humming a long and I never touch it.  I also have
a generically pieced together application server that I built about 5
years ago for next to nothing that I hardly every touch except for
application updates.  Both of these are routinely up for over 365 days.

I've come to realize that a great number of problems you might think are
software related can in fact be a problem of incompatible or somewhat
dysfunctional hardware.