[DRBD-user] checking resource consistency?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Feb 21 22:34:40 CET 2008

Is there a magic command which would check consistency of data between
the hosts?

Let's say you have two DRBD hosts called "primary" and "secondary":

     on primary {
         device    /dev/drbd1;
         disk      /dev/san1_data/host;
	(...)
     }
     on secondary {
         device    /dev/drbd1;
         disk      /dev/san2_data/host;
	(...)
     }

You accidentally write directly to "/dev/san2_data/host" - this means
the data on the secondary host is no longer consistent. Or your
senondary system silently corrupts data.
If you don't notice it, you're in trouble.

How can I check the consistency of data with DRBD?

I imagine it would work like that:
- tell DRBD on both sides to read 1 MB of data in an atomic way
- send checksums and compare if they are the same
- if the checksums are not the same, resend data from the master to the
primary - self repairing
- read the next 1 MB of data...

Is it possible to check resource consistency with DRBD?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org