[DRBD-user] Starting drbd services using drbddisk

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Feb 19 19:49:40 CET 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 21:08:04 Ben Beuchler wrote:
> I'm working on a simle Heartbeat setup with drbd.  Since my cluster
> will never grow beyond two nodes, I'm using the basic v1 config with
> CRM.
>
> According to the DRBD docs, the only startup work that needs to be
> done outside Heartbeat is to load the drbd module.

Not quite. The docs say this:

"The DRBD kernel module must be loaded (the resource scripts won't do that for
you, your specific distribution will, however, offer a facility to automate
this at system boot)"

... and I realize this is a bit misleading, and will be fixed very soon.
That "facility to automate this" is the /etc/init.d/drbd init script, and if
you are using the drbddisk resource agent, you need it enabled. "chkconfig
drbd on" is your friend.

> If I load the
> module than let try to start DRBD using the drbddisk script, this is
> what I get:
>
> ko1:~ insyte$ sudo modprobe drbd
> ko1:~ insyte$ sudo /etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk ha_disk start
> Failure: (127) Device minor not allocated
> Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary' terminated with exit code 10
> Failure: (127) Device minor not allocated
> Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary' terminated with exit code 10
> ^C
>
> I can alleviate the problem with a simple "drbdadm up all".
>
> As I can't find any indication that other people are needing to do
> this, I'm concerned that I might be doing something wrong.  If not, is
> it safe to just add a call to "drbdadm up all" to the "start)" clause
> in drbddisk?

Examine the drbdddisk resource agent for a bit and you'll find out that all it
does is promote and demote resources, it does _not_ bring them up and down.

Hope this helps,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

Please note: when replying, there is no need to CC my
personal address. Replying to the list is fine. Thank you.