[DRBD-user] Starting up in degraded mode

अनुज Anuj Singh anujhere at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 19:04:49 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 8:59 PM,  <drbd at bobich.net> wrote:
> Anuj Singh wrote:
>
> >> 1) Would it come up correctly if both peers were available and
> >> accessible?
> >
> > allow-two-primaries;
^This option will allow both the capability of mounting /dev/drbd0 in
read-write mode.

> >> 2) Is there a standard way of ensuring that if the 2nd node is not
> >> accessible after some timeout (e.g. 10-30 seconds), the current node
> >> sets the local instance as primary and create the device node?

 yes. use heartbeat

> > http://www.linux-ha.org/GettingStarted
> >
> >> 3) Is there a sane way to handle the condition where both nodes come up
> >> individually and only then the connection is restored? Obviously, the
> >> disks would not be consistent, but they would both be working by that
> >> point. Resyncing the BD underneath GFS would probably trash whichever
> >> node's data is being overwritten. Is there a method available to
> >> prevent this split-brain condition? One option I can see is to not
> >> sync. GFS would try to mount, notice the other node up but not using
> >> it's journal, and cluster would end up fencing one node. It'd be a race
> >> on which one gets fenced, but that isn't a huge problem.

             after-sb-0pri discard-younger-primary;
             after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
             after-sb-2pri call-pri-lost-after-sb;

^^This will handle the split brain, e.g. which node.
go threw man pages.

> I did, but I am still having a problem. When I only have 1 node up and
> running, it always comes up with Secondary/Unknown. If I bring it up with:
> drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary all
> it switches to Primary/Unknown and I can use it. But when I reboot, it
> again comes up with Secondary/Unknown. Is there a way to make it come up
> as Primary when the other node is "Unknown" (inaccessible)?

Check the firewall settings on both the nodes , if both the nodes are
communicating which other or not.

 see /var/log/messages while you do drbd service start/stop or doing
drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary all
if still error send log.

Anuj.